Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Good Days...

And then there are days like today. My two boys are playing side by side. The sun is shining. The coffee is hot. We found a slug and played with it. Ev has made dirt hamburgers for us. Tate is playing and laughing. Days like today make me feel entirely satisfied.

I'm not sure if it's related to the fact that I spent yesterday taking care of me...maybe when I do things for myself now and then it makes me more patient, more tolerant of kid behavior.

Yesterday, I went to College Station (WHOOP!) to see my good friend Azra, her husband Anees and their little boy Nadeem. It was amazing. I knew Azra when I worked for Arthur Andersen. She was my senior on many projects. She knew me "when." When I was cool. When I made money. When I was skinny. When I was interesting. :) The thing that was nice is that even though "all I do" is stay home with my boys now, she still thinks I'm cool. And interesting. And smart. It is reaffirming to know that, somehow. I'm not sure why, but it's as though a link between who I was "when" and who I am now has been made, and they're not entirely foreign to one another.

So, thank God, again, for old friends. For affirmation. For my two boys playing side by side. For the fact that they did SO well yesterday as I dragged them around Texas A&M campus and had them make new friends. Everett is still asking for Nadeem this morning...I love that about him.

No comments: