Thursday, October 9, 2008

Everett Takes the Plunge.

This morning on the way to preschool, Ev and I were talking about heaven. He wondered out loud where Jesus lived and if it was close to where the birds were in the sky. I told him that heaven was not in a place where we could see it, but that we often imagine that it's beyond the sky where the birds live. He said he wanted to go to heaven and see Jesus sometime. He wondered if we could get there in a hot air balloon. :) I told him that the way to get to heaven was to ask Jesus to be your savior and forgive you of your sins. That way, when it's your "turn to go" you can go live in heaven with Jesus forever. So, I said, "Would you like to tell Jesus that you want to have him as your savior and live with him forever in heaven?" And he said yes. So, we prayed "the prayer" that went something like this: Dear Lord Jesus, I realize that I am a sinner in need of your grace and forgiveness. Please forgive me and come live in my heart. Make me more and more like you each day. And let me live in heaven with you forever." :) Who knows what a 3 year old understands, or what God thinks of all of that, but it's a starting place for sure. :) I don't think I've ever cried tears of joy like that yet. This is what we've been praying for his whole life: "Lord, may Everett know you at a young age and walk with you all of the days of his life."

Thank you, Lord, for this first step. We pray for more!! :)

3 comments:

Dave said...

Yes! The beginning point for becoming a city set on a hill.

May your life be just that, little boy: one that manifests the presence of Jesus to one and all.

Grandma and grandpa love you.

Rachel Melone said...

Praise God! I love that God can speak to kids in a way they can understand. Something that C.S. Lewis said always stays with me, and my paraphrase is this: God wants us so much that He'll accept us with such incomplete and incorrect understandings of Him. We don't have to have all the answers to come to Him. We just have to accept Him.

Thank God for that! And for helping us every step of the before and after that first step!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's wonderful! Praise God! I didn't realize until becoming a mother myself just how frightening it is to think of your kids' eternal status. I'm so glad you have reassurance!