Sunday, September 14, 2008

Unanswered Questions

So, this morning, Ethan and I were lazy and went to the class closest to where we were standing. OK, not really; we'd talked about going to the Westminster Confession class before, but were going to the Romans class. We decided to give the Confession class a chance...just to see if we should change. Of course, this was the week on predestination. Neither of us are really great Calvinists, so we had a lot to talk about. And, of course, there are never ANY answers. I keep going back to what Orual says in Till We Have Faces..."And now I know why you don't give any answers. You yourself are the answer. Everything else is words going out against other words..." Yes, I'm paraphrasing, but I DO think that most of these things are unanswerable until we see His face. Until then, we have to hold on to our faith in HIM. How we got it doesn't matter as much as the fact that we HAVE it. Anyway, so I thought about all sorts of unanswered questions I have:

How is Matt over there in Iraq? When will he REALLY be home?
How's Rachel? How are her folks and how is their time together?
What's up with Jonathan? How's he doing...especially recently, and what happened?
How's David? I never hear from him...I hope he knows how much I love him!!
How is Lisa?? I hope their house held together with IKE, and I hope their kids are OK.
When will Ethan know about a job? Where will we go? When will our house sell?
When do kids grow out of the terrible twos? He IS three and a half now...
How much will I miss C'Ville when we go?
What if we DO move to Colorado?
How are David and Sarah and Ryan?
Do our friends know how much we miss them?
I wonder what Ryan would say if he knew Ev says, "I want to see Ryan soon, OK?" just about every other day?
I wonder what the McCavits would say when Ev asks for them and Miles all of the time?
Grandmas would be surprised to know that Ev asks for them on a daily basis.
Grandpa and Papa, too.
I wonder what ever became of some of my old friends? I wonder what I'd say if I saw them?
I wonder...
I wonder...
And some questions will be answered, and some won't. That's OK...I'm learning to live with unanswered questions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just talking about this with Dad and Carl two nights ago--that sometimes, people who seem to have great doctrine have no zeal, no joy, while those who aren't always sure on, say, all five points of Calvinism, still know their Lord and love him with all their hearts. Doctrine is important, not as a goal in and of itself, but ONLY as it teaches us more about the character of God.

Good post! Very thought-provoking.

Dave said...

Yes, very thought-provoking! As Mark Davis said on Sunday just because we can't get our arms around predetination and the trinity, doesn't mean we reject them altogether.

Rachel Melone said...

Yeah, why are there NEVER any answers about Calvinistic things?

Matt and I are the first on your list? Seriously? I think you just made my day. You love so well Sarah. I told you a little bit about Matt last night, but one reason he's so gung-ho about grad school is because right now he's bored out of his mind. They've been "packing" for like the last three weeks. And I? Well, I am much better with a friend like you.